How to pursue a degree in Canada with OND, HND, and 2:2 grades

How to pursue a degree in Canada with OND, HND, and 2:2 grades

This article is for you if you wish to pursue a master’s degree in Canada but received a poor grade (such as a 2:2 or Second Class Lower in your first degree, an OND, or an HND).

Many people who have heard that Canadian universities do not accept HNDs or 2:2 CGPAs frequently ask me questions about their possibilities.

The first thing to be aware of is that there is definitely competition for admission to graduate programs in Canada (Master’s and PhD). Generally speaking, a minimum grade of 70–75% is needed. About a 3.5 out of 5.0 CGPA would be this. Additionally, students pursuing research-based programs and those with grades above this cutoff are typically the ones who are accepted into programs and given admission money.

  • A few reasons for this include the following:
  • There are only roughly 100 universities in Canada;
  • Not all of them offer master’s or doctoral degrees;
  • Not all of the universities that do offer these degrees have your own course or program;
  • Those that offer your program will have a quota of students to admit; and more students apply than there is space for.

Generally, HNDs are not accepted by Canadian universities for a Masters or PhD. You’ll discover that a 4-year BSc degree is typically required for entry to master’s programs. Furthermore, some universities will take into consideration your marks from the final two years of your BSc degree in addition to your overall grade.

So, if you have a low BSc or OND/HND, let me tell you some strategies to overcome the obstacles and continue your education in Canada.

The greatest option for you if you’re seeking for a “simple” way to study in Canada with an OND/HND, 2:2 CGPA, or a lesser BSc grade is to search for a Graduate Certificate (GC) or its equivalent. This may also be referred to as a Graduate Diploma, Post Baccalaureate Diploma, or Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in some educational institutions.

Graduate Certificate programs are excellent choices for ND/HND holders or individuals with poor undergraduate grades. A postgraduate work permit (PGWP) and other perks available to other overseas students are also applicable to the programs. You are welcome to bring your family with you if you are studying for a PGD or a Graduate Certificate in Canada.

But take note that programs leading to Graduate Certificates, or PGDs, differ from those leading to Ordinary or Advanced Diplomas.

Ordinary Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas are only available to high school graduates. If you already hold a Bachelor’s degree or an OND/HND, you should not choose one of these options because it will be more difficult to convince a visa officer that you are applying for a high school diploma program when you are already enrolled in post-secondary education. Therefore, search for a PGD or Graduate Certificate program instead.

With a 2:2 grade, you can still attempt your hardest for a Masters or PhD if you wish to take the more difficult path! While it is extremely competitive and uncertain, it is not completely unattainable.

To tell you the truth, some people have done this in the past, but they typically have more than simply grades. I’ll give you an overview of some of the things they did to make up for the poor grade and set themselves up for success.

Here are some tips for getting into a Canadian master’s program with a poor B.Sc. CGPA:

  • Compile a portfolio of your research and publications (and do your hardest to find a supervisor for a Masters program that focuses on research).
  • Acquire relevant work experience to demonstrate your relevant professional experience.
  • Write and pass standardized tests (such as the GMAT or GRE, if applicable to your field of study)
  • Apply to institutions with lower rankings
  • Thoroughly prepare other documents (such as a CV, SOP, and reference letters)

Additionally, the following Canadian universities have previously accepted students with low grades for master’s degrees:

  • York University (for certain professional master’s programs)
  • Canadian Mennonite University,
  • Brandon University,
  • Mount Saint Vincent University,
  • Memorial University,
  • Thompson Rivers University
  • Saint Paul University
  • Churchill University
  • Royal Roads University
  • Bishop’s University
  • University of Canada West
  • Saint Mary’s University
  • University of Regina
  • Mount Saint Vincent University
  • Memorial University
  • Thompson Rivers University
  • University of Prince Edward Island,

Furthermore, as was already indicated, the majority of the admitted students brought more to the admittance table than just subpar marks. Thus, look into a few of these universities, review their admission standards, enhance your application, and consider other ways to increase your chances.

Finally, individuals with NDs or HNDs alone, or those with low BSc grades alone, are not eligible for Graduate Certificate programs. Additionally, these programs provide practical instruction through hands-on experience. This means that if a student decides they don’t want a master’s degree, they can still pursue them even with 2:1 (second class upper) and First Class CGPAs.

The majority of graduate certificate programs are offered by Canadian colleges. Additionally, they are offered by a few Canadian universities as postgraduate diplomas. Here is a searchable list of colleges in Ontario. Additionally, you can use Google to look for colleges in other provinces.

Depending on the program you are enrolled in and the school where it is offered, the length of the programs might range from one to two years.

  • In fact, according to current government figures, more international students are enrolled in college programs in Canada.

One final and crucial point to remember!

Crucially, if you intend to remain in Canada and work after your studies, it is strongly advised that, as an international student, you apply to an authorized designated learning institution and one that will grant you the ability to obtain a post-graduation work permit.

You must have an admission letter from a recognized educational institution in order to apply for a study permit. A school that has received approval from a provincial or territorial government to accept international students is known as a designated learning institution.

Check here to see if a school is qualified for a post-graduation work visa and whether their programs qualify as authorized learning institutions.

I sincerely hope the post will be of some value to you, and I hope your application goes well!

To contact us with any questions, comments, suggestions, or clarifications, please click this link.

Note: Nothing on this website should be construed as legal advice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *